If you are planning to travel to Thailand, you will be needing an insurance policy that meets the official requirements for Certificate of Entry (COE) in Thailand. The Thai government made it compulsory to all foreign travelers who wish to enter the kingdom to have a travel insurance policy that covers the treatment of COVID-19.
The Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) published two Registrar Orders last March 17, 2020 that insurance policies relating to health, travel, accident, and life should cover risks relating to COVID-19 unless the policyholder has become infected with the virus prior purchasing the policy or during the waiting period.
COVID-19 Insurance for Foreigners
The Office of Insurance Commission in Thailand has endorsed a medical insurance policy for foreigners which has been approved by the Thai government. This policy contains two parts:
- If the traveler is tested positive for COVID-19, then all the medical expenses at the hospital will be paid by the insurance company. The cost of treatment to be covered by the insurance company is almost 100,000 USD or 3.2 million baht.
- If the traveler died due to COVID-19, the insurance company would bear all the expenses of burial and repatriation, with a maximum coverage of approximately 3.2 million baht or 100,000 USD.
The Insurance Policies with coverage of COVID-19
The following insurance policies should cover risks relating to COVID-19:
- health insurance;
- life insurance;
- accidental insurance; and
- travel insurance;
These insurance policies can be purchased online. You need to submit the requirements specified by the insurance company, including the date of coverage. Make sure to purchase your insurance policies on duly approved insurance companies by the Thai government.
The Cost of COVID-19 Insurance in Thailand
The cost of the insurance of COVID-19 will vary for age difference and the period you remain in Thailand. The price of the COVID-19 insurance ranges from 2,600 baht to 100,000 baht.
The procedure for buying medical insurance for Thailand
For getting a visa and certificate of entry to Thailand, you need to find medical insurance policies that cover COVID-19. It makes it easy for you to get the most appropriate one. There are two ways to find the insurance policy of COVID-19 for Thailand.
- You can contact an insurance broker of the insurance company
- You can check online for instant purchase of insurance policy
A point to remember is that you should check all the coverage policies of the COVID-19 to take the least expensive policy that covers all the requirements. You can purchase this online through your credit cards. Several insurance providers offer COVID-19 insurance policies online. And you can check for a company that is on the top for acceptance of a visa. You can get the certificate instantly and then print it to apply for visa processing.
AXA Insurance offers a unique package of insurance named “Sawasdee Thailand.” Thousands of foreigners use AXA for the certificate of COVID-19 insurance in order to successfully obtain a visa and COE for Thailand. It includes the following features that cover all the prerequisites of the Thailand insurance commission:
- It includes the treatment of COVID-19 not more than 100,000 USD.
- You can choose the period that you require or for how long you will stay in Thailand. For example: it can be 30, 60, 90, or 1 year.
- It begins with the clearance at the immigration passport control at the airport in Thailand.
- There is a quarantine of 14 days in the coverage.
- A certificate is provided
Why require COVID-19 insurance?
The cost of treating the coronavirus disease is very expensive due to the limited availability of the medicines used for the treatment. Having known that, the Thai government has made the extra step in ensuring their foreign guests peace of mind during their stay in the Kingdom by requiring them to have the COVID19 insurance. In an unlikely event that the foreign guests get infected by the virus, they won’t have to pay out of their pocket the medical expenses at the hospitals in Thailand.
Is the COVID-19 insurance policy Expensive?
The cost of getting a COVID-19 insurance is just a pinch compared to the hospital bill of a non-insured COVID-19 patient. It is an additional expense to travellers, however, with the ongoing pandemic, it is too risky not to have one. You can obtain a 30 day policy that starts at about 4,000 THB. But the most significant reason that determines the price is the risk of the virus in the country from where you are applying for a visa. The costs differ from the government to private hospitals, so it can be expensive and it depends on your budget.
Get your COVID-19 travel insurance here: